Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

It's nothing personal. It's just summer.

First of all, apparently my neighbors read my blog, because about half an hour after I posted about their poor choice in pool music, they switched to the Beach Boys as I requested. All. Day. Long. At least I know I have readers.



Secondly, I crossed another item off my list of things to do before the end of summer! It seems like all my posts have a Godfather theme lately; I have completed "The Godfather" video game.

The virtual Marlon Brando approves of the way I spend my summer.
To be honest, it wasn't exactly the way I wanted to win. Yes, I defeated the Barzinis (it turned out that using the Assassin's Pistol was the way to go), but I didn't get all the collectables. Collectables are a thing with me, and damn it, I wanted to crack open all the safes and complete all the execution styles. Also, one of the warehouses remains uncaptured. I got all the way to the owner, but when he refused to sell out to the Corleones, I, uh, accidentally killed him. I thought the business would regenerate within a game week, but it never did, and the game discounted it.



So, I'm the Don of New York City. I love how I'm the Don and they were still sending me into dangerous situations alone. Oh well. It was satisfying to look over the NYC skyline in the cut scene and know that I ruled it all! And now, time for the Part II game. I can hear the groans of my family now.



(Annnd, upon looking it up, I realize that there's a Wii edition! The saga shall never end!)
Thirdly, I have a birthday coming up! Tomorrow, as a matter of fact. I'm crossing my fingers for an awesome birthday, but I have a feeling it'll be like almost every other day this summer... Oh well.
At least I know what I'm getting: a camera! I can finally update my blog with my own pictures! Mostly of cooking... 



On a final note, a few people have been asking what I want. Being the generous person that I am, I shall not deny you the pleasure of getting me a gift! Here are some suggestions to guide your way:


Laura's Birthday Wish List

-This adorable dress from ModCloth (I know, I know, it's sold out, but if you vote for them to restock it, you will have my undying gratitude)
-A day at the spa 
-Barring that, spa stuff from here or here or here (I especially like A Place on Earth's sugar scrubs!)
-Someone asked if I like aprons. I do! If you know me well, you can probably find one that fits my personality here.
-Ice cream maker (I can't decide if I like this one or this one better. Or maybe this one?)
-That said, any and all cooking things are appreciated. Seriously. I'd love professional pastry bags. I've had my eye on this for awhile as well, but I have a feeling this will be a housewarming gift someday. A waffle iron would be good, too.
-Emus. You know, like Uggs, but better, because they're not Uggs.
-A man's flannel plaid shirt. I've secretly wanted one ever since I saw Calista Flockheart wearing one in The Birdcage. It just looks so comfy.
-How to Breathe Underwater by Julie Orringer
-Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Keller
-The following movies (preferably full screen; I have a dislike for widescreen):

  • Much Ado About Nothing with Emma Thompson
  • Mona Lisa Smile (oh hush, it's basically the Dead Poet's Society for girls. Plus, I'm entitled to one chick flick!)
  • Mystic Pizza (okay, maybe two)
  • Memoirs of a Geisha (see a pattern here?)
  • Waitress
  • No Reservations (I can hear you! HUSH.)
  • Pretty Woman (looking over these, I notice a majority are Julia Roberts. Ironic, as I wouldn't count her among my favorite actresses or anything.)
  • M. Butterfly
  • The American President
  • Julie and Julia
  • Stranger Than Fiction
  • Maybe Milk? Maybe? I can't decide how often I'd watch that. On second thought, maybe not.
  • Ditto for the Dead Poets' Society
    -Digital picture frame
    -Tickets to Spring Awakening, Spamalot, Straight No Chaser, and Seth Meyers at my school (especially Straight No Chaser! I'm excited.)
    -Wrist warmers? I put that on the list last year. I have no clue if I still want them.
    -A pie.
    -And finally, I don't expect this from anyone, but if I got this I would die of happiness. I'm not hiding anything. It's just a pain to shave every day.
    -Or, think up your own gift! Some of my faves have been things I didn't even think of.
    As you can see, this list has turned into the "Everything-I've-ever-wanted" list. I don't mean to force it down your throat, just to make it easier for people who were asking. Really, I'm not expecting anything. I'd just love to have a great day. =)
    EDIT: Looking at the list, I see I can't really make up my mind about anything.
    FURTHER EDIT: Upon hearing complaining and ridicule from Mr. Laura, I must add that the list does not apply to him since he already has my birthday gift.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment