Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

Don't Ya Just Know It (A Case Study in the Blues)



I was going to write a post yesterday about my ridiculous Macbeth notes, or this picture, but to make a long story short, my parents called.



Ok, so that needs some explanation. See, I attend the Typical-East-Coast-Large-Public-University, the kind that everyone expects you to attend because it's in-state (and therefore, affordable) but still pretty well-known for churning out decent degrees in every category you can think of. You know the type. We do the football thing and the school spirit thing and the rolling admissions thing. You can probably think of a few fine specimens, and hey, I won't deny it's a decent education. But that's all I'll say about that for now.

Anyway, I'm a freshman at this Typical-East-Coast-Large-Public-University, and being separated from home and family and all has been a bit rougher than anticipated. I'm pretty tight with my family, and being separated from them for this long, on a campus with about 40-50,000 strangers, has taken its toll. After a visit with them last weekend in which I used up no less than half a box of tissues, I was in no hurry to talk to them again. Of course, that means they inevitably called yesterday:

*Zombie Nation plays on my phone. I look at the number, sigh, and pick up*

Dad: Hi! How's school?
Me: Fine *mumble mumble mumble*
Dad: You sound kind of down.
Me: Just tired. Mumble mumble.
*Awkward silence*
Dad: Well, I love you. Here, talk to your mother.
Mom: Heyhoneyhow'sschoolhow'slife?
Me: Mumble.
Mom: You sure sound down. Cheer up.
Me: I'M FINE [or was until you called] mumble.

I'm having a hard time with this separation thing. Either I'm clingy and don't want to stop talking to them, or I don't want to talk to them at all because it reminds me that I miss them. Needless to say, after that fun conversation, I was in no mood to blog. Or do homework. Or take a walk. Or do anything but procrastinate and grumble.

So, Macbeth/ the mysterious picture at the beginning of the post will have to wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment