Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Of Bumbles and Best Friends

So. For the past two days, the Abominable Snow Monster (fondly referred to henceforth as the Bumble, a la Rankin Bass) has been turning my Typical-East-Coast-Large-Public-University into a winter wonderland:





...or rather, a winter slushland. It's so strange to see brilliantly colored autumn trees covered in white, and patches of green grass that those colored autumn trees protected from the Bumble.

Now it's just doing a misty rain thing. Gross.

The good news: I don't have to trudge out to the Homecoming game in this icky wetness (no tickets, and there's no bitterness there at all--I didn't really want them. Shhhh.)

The bad news: My best friend in the whole wide world, who goes by the name of Kirsten, just texted to tell me her planned visit today is not happening. Suddenly my day is reduced to online shopping for Underarmour and catch-up reading.

I can postpone that, though! I'll take a trip down memory lane to tell you about how I met Kirsten (unless you are Kirsten, in which case, you already know). It's kind of an interesting story.

Kirsten and I aren't the typical best friends that met in kindergarten, shared our lunches in elementary school, fingerpainted each others' names in art class, dressed up in sparkle jeans and went to awkward middle school dances together...none of that.

 In fact, the first time she recalls seeing me, we were both at a meeting for middle school choir, and she was annoyed that I was a dumb seventh grader talking during the presentation. Thank goodness we didn't actually meet for two more years.

I entered high school as a quiet (imagine that) freshman knowing almost no one (I'd had the typical eighth-grade-falling-out-with-friends that summer). BUT I was in choir. (Yes, I was THAT kid. Refrain from being judgmental. I actually kind of liked it.) And in choir, we used to have students get up to do warm-ups and announcements and that sort of thing.

One day in September-ish, a tall girl with long, curly brown hair, a cute skirt, and a mellifluous voice taught everyone a tongue twister:

Articulatory agility
Is a desirable ability
Manipulating with dexterity
The tongue, the teeth, and the lips!
(repeat, many times, going faster each time)

(My memory's actually not that amazing; I've recited it many times since for theatre.)

Kirsten and I didn't actually meet then, oh no. That's just when I became aware of her. She's pretty awesome, I thought, to be able to get up there and teach everyone that so easily. (She later revealed she felt like the biggest dork.)


From there, our friendship came together in pieces. I actually don't remember this, but she recalls trying on Halloween costumes at the same time after school in the girls' bathroom and realizing that we liked a lot of the same things. "We're pretty much the same person!" she cried. I vaguely remember being excited about this.

Our friendship was cemented, though, when Kirsten and I, and a few of our friends, stayed after school to chill and wait for the football game that night. (All right, fine, I'll admit it: we were decorating the choir room. Remember, NERDS.) I hadn't been planning to stay, but Kirsten had convinced me, last minute. "You don't really want me along," I'd said, and she and another friend had replied, "Yes, we do." That was all it took.

Anyway! That night we bonded, I found out she was a vegetarian, and we decided that we had to watch Titanic together (neither one of us ever had seen it). A weekend or two later, she came over to spend the night. At 4 AM, we were still up...playing Barbies. Yep, we'd found a tub of my sister's Barbies and were using them to mock everyone at school. That began the first of our countless inside jokes.

The next weekend, I spent the night at her house, and we finally saw Titanic. She might think differently, but I think we were pretty much cemented from then on. Four years later--that's hard to believe--we know pretty much everything about each other, and we never get tired of talking. In fact, we spent most of the past summer together. And we have oh-so-many inside jokes, I don't think I remember them all.

In short, if she was a man, I'd marry her. We're best-friend-soulmates (and I don't even believe in soulmates). And even the Bumble can't stop us.

Oh, and Kirsten, if you're reading this..."I got you coffee." "Yeah, well I got you a pony!"

1 comment: