Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

If nothing else, a new way to slice your bread!

At the end of an email (ok, Facebook message), my friend Mia added this saccharine little snippet:
"Also, you should start writing in your blog again. You are seriously slacking."


First of all, see what I did there? I added the word "saccharine" where it doesn't even belong, just because it sounded good. Saccharine: sentimental, cloying, sugary, sickening. I only looked it up after I used it, because it was such a darn good word right there. Too bad it was the wrong word.


Anyway, all questions of word choice aside, I've been putting this off for way too long. Why? I've used every excuse, from "I don't have time for a blog," to, "I have no working camera, and no one wants to read a blog without pictures!" Psh. That never seemed to stop me before, Google Image Search willing. To my credit, I've had a busy/exciting/rough first year of college, but now it's time to focus on what makes me me, not just freshman survival tactics. This blog is me.


This morning I wanted a piece of bread for breakfast. Like any normal almost-19 year old, I decided to slice it on top of a cookbook, which prompted the following conversation:


Mom: Laura, was there any reason you had to slice your bread on top of my new grilling cookbook? We have cutting boards. We are civilized people.


Me: I know, but I'd just get another cutting board dirty, when cutting it on top of your book saved me a lot of trouble. [Wise reasoning, in my opinion.]


Mom: L-A-Z-Y, that's what you are.


...and then she laughed. Proving I have the best mother ever.


But when it comes down to it, yes I've been busy, but I've also been lazy with this blog. And, in the year to come of discovering myself, I am determined not to be lazy. And I am also determined that I will not make this blog post a long promise-of-why-I-will-never-cease-writing-again.


I'm off to make Sunday soup.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you writing again. And what soup??? Can I have some?

    ReplyDelete