Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Lists

Looking back at the summer I've had so far, I can't deny that a lot of it has been spectacularly boring. But that doesn't mean I haven't tried! There's been a lot of books, a lot of cooking, and, oh yeah, a ten-day trip to see this:

And this:


...and honestly, what can compete with that? (Oh, and the exceptionally cute Wyoming waiters. Did I mention that there are far more men in Wyoming than women?)

But, for the most part, I operate best under a scheduled regime, which is probably why I've been making so many lists this summer. Most of them are to-do lists commanding me to finish cleaning out my closet and desk, which I happily ignore. But a few have strayed from the norm. My friend Brandon, a movie aficionado, and I recently drew up a list of the following movies that we must see together:

-Frida
-The Hours
-Far From Heaven
-The Birdcage
-I've Loved You So Long
-The Cider House Rules
-Moonstruck
-Hannah and Her Sisters
-Rachel Getting Married
-Brokeback Mountain
-Requiem for a Dream (with Mr. Laura)
-Pan's Labyrinth
-Moon
-Dances with Wolves
-The Godfather Part III
-The Graduate

Most of these are movies that one of us has seen and we want to show the other person. As you might have guessed, the ones in red are the ones we've watched. Yes, we have a long way to go. Don't judge us. Did I mention that Brandon is on a mission to watch every Oscar Best Picture winner? We're such busy people.

About a week ago, I realized that my to-do lists weren't doing me much good, so I completed a master list one morning in bed. (I always seem to complete my lists in bed. Does anyone else find that you're so much more optimistic in bed in the morning before the world quashes all your plans for the day?)

Goals Before Summer's Out

-Balance checkbook: Somehow,  I haven't balanced it since...hmmm, checking my checkbook...pun!...March. I is the good financial guru.
-Become the Don of NYC on the Godfather for PS2. Defeating the Barzinis means I'll take over the game!

...well come on now, people, I had to have something on this list I'd actually be motivated to do.

-Make at least one artisan chocolate: From my new cookbook, aptly titled Making Artisan Chocolates. It's one of those pretty cookbooks where you look at the pictures and never actually use it. I'm thinking of starting with the chocolate truffles.
-(Mostly) complete movie list with Brandon: See above. I added the "mostly" when I realized how many hours he works.
-Complete one short story
-Plan some kind of Team Awesome summer reunion: Team Awesome is what a group of my Large-East-Coast-Public-University friends and I call ourselves. Original title, no?
-Finish The Picture of Dorian Gray: It seems that every time I sit down to read it, it reminds me of food. Or other books. Or friends. Or daydreams. Or anything other than itself, because it's such a boring read. I know, I'm an English major. Crucify me.
-Read Growing Up: A family friend gave me this as a graduation gift last year, and I've never had the time to read it. It looks great though.
-Read one more book for pleasure: Before I succumb to my fall review of Brit Lit, Cape Cod Lit, and possible "What is Literature?" lit. 
-Spa day with Kirsten. You remember Kirsten, don't you? Well, the legendary best friends have barely seen each other all summer! We've decided we need a day at the spa to catch up! It'll be fabulous! ...if our wallets can take it.
-Best birthday ever!: No explanation needed.
-See [insert names of various friends from home whom I haven't seen all summer]
-Aunt Laura Day!: This is way, way, way too good to explain in a simple list, and so you'll learn about it later.
-Email Large-East-Coast-Public-University housing office: For minor housing concerns, as you might have guessed.
-Apply to be a Peer Tutor for school: Hey, I need to get a real job at some point.
-Lose two pounds: From the Freshman 7 or 8 that I gained.

Oh yeah, and this final gem:
-Restart my blog.

P.S. Enjoy the new layout! I find it a lot easier to read.

1 comment: